(also referred to as: Built Environment)
The Accessibility Consultants Association of Ontario membership includes these companies concerned with the accessibility of architecture (the built environment):
Companies on this page:
- AccessAbility Advantage
- Access (SCS) Consulting Services
- Accessibility Consultants and Trainers
- Accessibility Experts Ltd.
- Accessibility Ontario
- DESIGNABLE ENVIRONMENTS
- Disability Awareness Consultants
- Effective Accessibility Consulting
- Herrington Group, The
- Reliable Independent Living Services (RILS)
- SPH Planning & Consulting Limited
- Sterling Frazer Associates
Ontario March of Dimes and
Quadrangle Architects Limited
Your one-stop shop for accessibility consulting for the AODA.
Affordable plans that you can implement over time to meet the Standards.
How to get started
- Get advice from experienced professionals who were involved with Standards development
- Create a plan that you can implement over time to meet the Standards
- Take a practical, pragmatic approach
- Keep it affordable
We have 50+ years of experience making places accessible
AccessAbility Advantage provides
- AODA Compliance Strategy
- Customer Service Compliance including evaluations, policy work and training
- Information and Communication Compliance including audits of electronic presence, recommendations and training
- Employment Policy and Procedure Compliance including evaluations, policy work, training and employment supports
- Built Environment Accessibility including audits, construction design and management
10 Overlea Blvd., Toronto, Ontario M4H 1A4
Telephone: (416) 425-3463 x 7286 / 1 (800) 263-3463 x 7286
E-mail AccessAbility Advantage: fjewett@AccessAbilityAdvantage.ca
Website of AccessAbility Advantage: www.AccessAbilityAdvantage.ca
o/b 623921 Ontario Ltd
Toronto, Ontario Services
- Accessibility planning
- Accessible Products
- Accounting and business consulting
- A.O.D.A. compliance courses
- A.O.D.A. compliance audits and reports
- Building audits and plan reviews
- Custom practice manuals
- Customer Service Standards Training
- Disability Sensitivity Awareness Training
- Fundraising Alternatives
- General practice manuals
- IT Training in accessibility programs
- Practice, policy and procedure development
- Professional reports
- Professional Witness
- Public Speaker
- Research proposals
- Website Audits and Training
Accessibility Consultants and Trainers assists organizations with a wide range of accessibility matters and with compliance to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We have extensive experience working with the Accessibility Directorate of Ontario (the branch of the provincial government responsible for the AODA and compliance) and helping organizations to prepare for the accessibility standards under the AODA. Jennifer Miller (principal of Accessibility Consultants and Trainers) has worked with human rights lawyers in the areas of AODA policy and procedure development, disability accommodation and training.
- Develop the Policies, Procedures and Practices required under the AODA
- Policy Review
- Accessibility Planning
- Accessibility Standards Compliance Advice and Research
- Built Environment Accessibility Audits
- Transportation Technical and Service Audits
- AODA Employment Preparedness
- Accessible Information and Communication
- Accessible Event Planning
- Training on:
- Accessible Customer Service Training
- Sensitivity/Awareness Training
- Implementing the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service: Preparing for Compliance
- Accessibility Standards under the AODA including
- Information and Communication
- Customer Service
- Transportation and
- the Built Environment.
We work with our clients to develop customized policies, procedures and practices and training that is tailored to their specific needs. Jennifer has provided training to over 1,000 participants throughout Ontario and worked with numerous public and private sector organizations developing policies, procedures and practices, disability accommodation strategies and assisting them to prepare for AODA compliance.
Email Accessibility Consultants and Trainers: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Website of Accessibility Consultants and Trainers: aodaconsultants.com or accessstandards.com
Accessibility Experts is an accessibility consulting and training firm that is passionate about making Ontario accessible. The company was developed in 2008 to help public and private sector organizations across Ontario to comply with legislative laws being implemented under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). With legislative standards being implemented (Customer Service, Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation; Information and Communications, Employment, Transportation and Public Spaces) it is important that organizations seek expertise in order to comply.
Accessibility Experts have extensive background and expertise in all areas of the legislation and the needs of persons with disabilities.
Our company goal is to help organizations to meet each required standard and then continue to support and offer ongoing assistance.
Accessibility Experts provide:
- Accessibility Planning and Development
- Accessible Customer Service Training
- Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation Staff Training
- Train the Trainer - IASR
- Creating Accessible Word Documents
- Creating Accessible Forms
- Basics of Accessible Web Design
- Policy Review and Development
- Standards Compliance Advice and Research
- Reporting Requirements and Documentation
- Accessible Communication Plans and Websites
- Proposal Writing
- Building Assessments
Extensive consultation processes are undertaken with all customers to identify and develop each organization's individual requirement. We design training that is tailored to the individual needs of the company; training that ensures you are meeting the requirements for the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessibility Experts works private sector organizations including Tim Hortons, Sobeys, and Samsung and have worked with more than 190 municipalities. We have been the trainers for the Association of Municipal Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario (AMCTO), Ontario Hospital Association, Elections Ontario and Ontario Realty Corporation.
As a company we are dedicated, honest, experienced and provide reasonable pricing.
Accessibility Ontario provides training and consulting services to nonprofits and businesses in Ontario to help them understand and comply with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Accessibility Ontario has worked closely with the Accessibility Directorate of Ontario (ADO) on multiple EnAbling Change projects, supporting organizations such as the Ontario Nonprofit Network, the Ontario Land Trust Association, and the Ontario Business Improvement Area Association.
- Accessibility Ontario has worked with a long list of clients throughout the province, from small nonprofits to medium sized businesses. Each of our consultants brings their own background and expertise to the Accessibility Ontario team, equipping us to work with diverse client set.
- Training & Coaching
- Accessibility Ontario offers an extensive number of in-person workshops, online webinars, and virtual AODA training courses. We excel at developing and delivering large-scale education and training initiatives and have managing several EnAbling Change projects.
- Policy & Planning
- Accessibility Ontario has helped many organizations create accessibility policies and plans in accordance to the AODA. We can serve as a guiding hand, provision of templates, or have our experts conduct the research and writing for you.
- Templates & Resources
- We offer a variety of policy and multi-year plan templates, as well other useful resources and tools, to make accessibility compliance easier.
- Website Audits
- The web is an important communication tool. Our audits help organizations isolate existing and potential barriers to their online content, and how to remove barriers to become compliant to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
- Document Conversion
- Creating accessible documents can be overwhelming when faced with old documents that need to be made accessible. Accessibility Ontario offered document conversion services to edit existing documents and templates from Microsoft Office applications, PDF documents, and InDesign.
- Building Assessments
- Accessibility Ontario's team offers facility audits to identify the built environment barriers in your office or building. In addition to long-term, larger cost changes, we suggest low cost solutions that can be immediately implemented.
- Event Speakers
- Accessibility Ontario is a frequent conference presenter. We love to share our passion and knowledge of accessibility with others. Let us share it with you at an upcoming conference or event!
AODA Updates and Accessibility Events
Sign up for Accessibility Ontario's free e-newsletter to receive accessibility tips and best practices, updates on the AODA legislation, announcements about upcoming events and funding opportunities, and news from Accessibility Ontario.Facebook page of Accessibility Ontario: AODAontario
165 Lakeshore Road East,
Mississauga, Ontario L5G 4T9
Accessible Built Environment Specialists
Helping your team create great architecture... which is also truly accessible.
DesignABLE ENVIRONMENTS is a Canadian architectural consulting firm specializing in universal design, accessibility, and future care planning. For over 25 years we have worked across Canada and internationally on projects that create appropriate access for everyone, including people with disabilities. We offer our clients a level of experience and expertise unmatched in the industry.
Our services include:
- Accessibility needs and implementation planning
- Accessibility standards development
- Creating barrier-free environments
- Education and training
- Building audits
AODA | CSA | NBC | OBC | RBQ | ABC | BCBC | NSBC | ADA
Because it's about a lot more than ramps and washrooms! Our business is accessibility.
We teach people who aren't disabled how to work with people who are. Disability Awareness Consultants has been working since 1995 to increase awareness of disability issues in not-for-profit and corporate environments.
We also develop and deliver site audits of the absolute highest standards, to create barrier-free homes workplaces. All of our trainers live with disabilities, and we address the needs of greatest possible number of disability groups.
Training and audits will cover the issues relating to people with physical, vision, speech, learning, intellectual, psychiatric and neurological disabilities, as well as people with chemical sensitivities, facial differences and hearing loss. All services are customized to meet the needs of the clients, and we will research and present information on any new topics that are requested.
Confidential surveys before a workshop help to establish areas of interest or concern for the employees, and follow-up surveys after the workshop inform the business managers what has been learned.
Disability Awareness Consultants Services
- Disability awareness workshops from 2 to 15 hours
- Quick refresher courses for previous participants
- Train-the-Trainer programs
- Customer Service training in compliance with the AODA
- Policy development
- Site audits, and working from building plans
- Consultations with architects
- Barrier-free signage and wayfinding
- Detailed workbooks with over 130 pages of useful information
- Laminated "Tips and Hints" sheets on each disability for quick reference
- Participants receive diplomas upon successful completion of any workshop
- CEO/President, Lauri Sue Robertson, is a member of the Employment Standards Committee of the AODA
- Dual Canadian/U.S. citizenship; can work anywhere in North America
- Services can be provided in French as needed
Telephone: (416) 267-5939
E-mail Lauri Sue Robertson of Disability Awareness Consultants: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website of Disability Awareness Consultants: www.disabilityawarenessconsultants.com
To enhance and enrich the lives of people with disabilities by opening minds through communication, education, and barrier removal.
To identify, remove and prevent barriers in the public and private sectors in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the standards within.
Establishing the accessibility needs of businesses, will not only assist us in identifying and removing these barriers, but will also assist people with disabilities in accessing these businesses in order to purchase your products and services.
WELCOME: We Enable Learning (through) Communication Opening Minds & Education
As of January 1, 2008, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005, Customer Service Standards are NOW in effect.
IS YOUR BUSINESS PREPARED?
- Do you know what the Accessibility requirements of your business are?
- Are you aware of how this legislation affects your business and employees?
The Customer Service Standards include:
- Mandatory Sensitivity Awareness/Customer Service Training for all staff (including volunteers) on how to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disability
- Establishment of policies, practices and procedures are required on providing goods or services to people with disabilities
- January 1, 2010 is compliance date for businesses in the PUBLIC sector
- January 1, 2012 is compliance date for businesses in the PRIVATE sector
Effective Accessibility Consulting has solutions.
Effective Accessibility Consulting will assist you with the mandated requirements your business needs.
- With over ten years experience with disability/accessibility issues.
- Vast and updated knowledge of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
- With well developed interactive, fun and educational, Sensitivity Awareness /Customer Service Training workshops in accordance with the Customer Service Standards.
- Accessibility Assessments that meet the requirements of the Ontario Building Code and the Canadian Standards Association - Barrier-Free Design regulations.
- Needs Assessments are performed to determine your company's accessibility NEEDS according to your company's Policies, Procedures and Practices & in conjunction with the Customer Service Standards legislation
- Consultant for municipalities, hospitals, colleges, school boards, and numerous professional organizations.
For more information or to book a consultation NOW call Effective Accessibility Consulting at
Telephone: 705-735-6177 or
E-mail Effective Accessibility Consulting at email@example.com
Web site of Effective Accessibility Consulting at www.effectiveaccessibility.ca
The Herrington Group Ltd is Moving Organizations Beyond Status Quo! Access is our business. Not only are our Associates experts in their field, many of us live with these issues every day. We have refined a successful system that produces exceptional results. Our Access Assessments will review your facilities and operations for architectural, communication, and policy and procedural barriers.
Our Disability Awareness Training Sessions can be custom-designed to meet your needs or you can choose from our extensive curriculum. Each session is led by trained facilitators with disabilities who have first-hand knowledge of the issues and who provide practical tools, approaches and resources. We can also offer
train-the-trainer seminars. These seminars provide you with skills and resources to proactively respond to future needs.
Our Human Resources Program provides consulting services for various typical Human Resources situations including: Strategic Planning and Organizational Visioning, Human Resources Planning, Team Building, Policy Design, Candidate Search and Screening, Reference Checking and Contract Design.
Web site of The Herrington Group: www.theherringtongroup.ca
Reliable Independent Living Services (RILS) provides the following technical services;
RILS Provides expertise, advice, guidance, support and training regarding accessibility in the built environment. RILS offers advice on the feasibility and suitability of proposed recommendations, outlining cost-effectiveness and industry best practices with respect to making accessibility improvements. RILS makes appropriate recommendations (as well as identifying the impact of any proposed recommendations) to achieve optimal barrier free accommodations for people of all abilities and identifies any challenges or issues with regard to accessibility requirements under the AODA standards. RILS provides expert advisory and reporting services to residential/commercial building owners, MVA, business owners and government.
Accessible Design & Reporting Services
Provides preliminary design services in the development, planning and preparation of As Built Drawings and Construction Drawings (as typically provided by a licensed architect) and specifications to ensure that the appropriate recommendations and plans/drawings are prepared and developed to achieve optimal accessibility. These services may include pre-design services, planning, provision of designs, drawings, specifications, feasibility reports, building audits and other technical submissions if needed.
Barrier Free Management Services
These services include the overall planning, coordination, estimating, control and development of the technical scope of work necessary to achieve successful accessible built environment projects. Project Management Services may also include, where applicable, liaising and dealing with the obligations of landlords and owners of leased buildings, coordinating the tendering process, preparing and submitting reports and invoices to clients.
ReliAble Independent Living Services®
ReliAble Barrier Free Living Centre
200 Spadina Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
E-mail Reliable Independent Living Services (RILS) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Web site of Reliable Independent Living Services (RILS): www.reliableliving.com
Established since 1999, SPH Planning & Consulting Limited (SPH) is a leading consulting firm offering comprehensive services in accessibility planning and the design of inclusive environments for all. In summary, SPH:
- Conducts building accessibility audits, design / plan reviews and advises on accessibility compliance through collaboration with our clients;
- Offers consultancy services and expert advice on inclusive design and universal access;
- Implements inclusive design in urban and rural environments, playspaces and landscapes; and
- Conducts research of best practices in equal access and universal design to develop inclusive programs, services and policies.
SPH has conducted focused research supporting the development and evaluation of local, national and international accessibility design guidelines, standards, building codes and other best practices. This includes the development of comprehensive accessibility design guidelines for the built environment, for clients in the public and private sectors, as well as the successful completion of diverse projects related to AODA / IASR compliance.
Shane Holten, President
Our mission is to help organizations/businesses meet their legal, corporate and social obligations to advance the lives of people with disabilities through inclusion, respect and dignity.
Sterling Frazer Associates has been in business since 1995. Our roots are in market research; which has allowed our consultants to gather almost twenty years of information and personal stories from people with disabilities, their family members and the professionals who interact with them. We have travelled across Canada and the United States learning what consumers want and how to better serve the needs of people with disabilities.
Since 2005 Sterling Frazer Associates has focused on the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code. Our consultants are experts in understanding people with disabilities, the technology they use and the environments that work best for them. Many of the people on our team are members from the disability community so they bring their personal as well as their professional knowledge when consulting, training or auditing the built environment.
Sterling Frazer Associates offers a variety of training modules that help you meet your legal requirements in Ontario under the AODA; including: Customer Service; Transportation; Employment; Information and Communication; and the Built Environment/Public Spaces. We offer industry specific training and will customize our material to match that of your business.
Our consultants work with you and your staff to ensure that you are meeting your legal obligations under the AODA legislation. We evaluate your customer services styles, policies and procedures, and the environment in which your customers and staff work and interact. We guide you through the various deadlines and requirements under the AODA so that you can focus on your business.
Accessibility Audits & Reporting Services
Sterling Frazer Associates consultants are available to review the built environment in which you live or do business. We will evaluate your current facility or help you move into a new one using industry standards for accessibility — the difference is, we don't just interpret the standards, our years of customer research and personal knowledge gives you practical information on how to best meet the needs of people with disabilities and how they are affected by their surroundings.
Our reports include comparison of our findings to published standards for accessibility that are used in Canada and the United States. We provide plan audits during the design phase of new construction and will work with your architect/designer to ensure the project is accessible from the design through to the day you move in.